Pilot Careers with Air Hong Kong
Air Hong Kong (AHK)
currently operates on our own AOC, 9 x A300F aircraft and 3 x A330F aircraft (2
x 330-300 P2F and 1 x A330-200F), all leased from DHL Aviation, serving the DHL
Express Hong Kong (HK) hub network. Two more A330F aircraft will transition to
the AHK operation by the end of 2020.
AHK is now accepting
applications for a small number of First Officer positions that may
be available later in 2020. Most positions offered will be at the
rank of First Officer Level 1 on the A300 aircraft. A small number of
positions may be also be available as First Officer Level 1 on the
A330 for Hong Kong licenced recently rated A330 pilots. Applicants
would need to be able to present themselves in HK, in compliance with current
HK quarantine requirements, for flying skills assessment in our A300
• During normal times, a reliable roster that offers a great work/personal life balance.
• The opportunity for pilots to work in a small airline with a people oriented culture, where pilots are highly respected, and their contributions are valued.
• The opportunity for pilots, who meet our professional requirements, for progression onto flying as a HK ATPL holder, wide-bodied jet transport aircraft with a credible and growth oriented airline.
At AHK we conduct all A300 pilot training ourselves, using our A300 simulator and facilities in Hong Kong.
Pilots will now join as "First Officer 1" on the A300F and will serve one year under probation. If the required standards are maintained, First Officer 1 ranked pilots will be promoted to the rank of First Officer 2 after a total of two years of service. Subject to satisfactory performance, promotion to Senior First Officer is usually after a total of three years of service. Progression between aircraft types operated by AHK, and selection for Command, are driven by operational requirements and assessed individual suitability, in seniority order subject to individual fleet manning needs. Career progression to flying training, technical and flying management positions is available.
The normal AHK operation sees most flights departing the Hong Kong hub at 0300-0500 local time, and arriving at the outports 2-4 hours later. The aircraft remain at the outports during the day, and fly back to Hong Kong late evening, the crew resting at the outports in quality hotels. There are also some other day/evening local time flight patterns. During the current Covid-19 situation, we are operating most flights as turnarounds between HK and the destinations to minimise crew exposure and quarantine requirements.
Cargo is predominantly DHL Express freight; and AHK is highly focussed on achieving on time performance. AHK also carries cargo for and operates dedicated flights on behalf of Cathay Pacific Cargo.
A300 Fleet rosters have until the 2020 situation have been reliable with steady blocks of days on/days off cycles. Each work cycle consisted of either one to two sectors each night, reserve duties, and recurrent simulator/ground training when due. Target monthly flying rate is 55 hours. During the current Covid-19 situation, longer flying patterns are in place. The nature of the normal AHK express cargo flying operation is such that changes to the commencement of duty cycles are rare.These cycles and targets are not contractual and may vary should the DHL Express operating plan change, however AHK aims to return after the Covid-19 situation to the principle of rostering predictable days on/days off cycles.
To support fatigue mitigation, AHK provides quality airport-convenient hotel accommodation from 11 hours prior to the commencement of the first duty event during each work pattern, through to the end of each pattern, regardless of type of duty.
Pilot Basing and Domicile
All AHK pilot positions offered are HK based. Pilots may choose to live in other locations if they have the applicable local legal right to do so, however are responsible for being quarantine-free in HK at the commencement of each duty pattern. Pilots are required to pay HK tax, and are responsible for paying any other taxes that may be required due to nationality and domicile.
One of AHK’s competitive advantages is a highly engaged team culture, especially amongst our pilot community. AHK pilots go above and beyond the call of duty to get the job done, safely and on time. AHK seeks pilots who have a can do attitude, and a positive outlook, who will be a good fit with our current agile, flexible, and proactive pilot workforce. AHK is proud of maintaining a diverse work place.
Safety performance data shows AHK maintains a high standard of flight operational safety. AHK expects our pilots to maintain a high standard of professional knowledge, prepare thoroughly for each flight, function effectively in a diverse team, operate according to our published procedures, and honestly report all hazards and incidents. In return AHK supports a non-punitive safety culture, and seeks only to learn from the windows into our operation provided by all incidents.
The ideal candidate will meet the following minimum requirements :
• Hold a valid ICAO Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL) together with a 'frozen' ATPL i.e. has passed all ATPL examination subjects
• Have a minimum of 3000 hours flying experience
• Have a minimum of 1000 hours jet experience
• Hold a valid multi-engine instrument rating
• Hold a current Class 1 medical certificate
• ICAO level 4 fluency in spoken English
Hong Kong SAR Citizen MCC Recruitment
AHK recognises a commitment to providing some career opportunities as pilots to the people of the HK SAR, and recognise that as a city state, HK does not provide many opportunities for existing Hong Kong pilots to acquire the experience requirements for recruitment as airline Direct Entry First Officers,
AHK has approval for a Multi-Crew Certificate (MCC) program that trains pilots with a lower entry experience levels than the AHK Direct Entry First Officer program requirements. From time to time, subject to AHK's operating plan and training resource availability, AHK may recruit a small number of suitable pilots for training and career development under the MCC approval.
The minimum requirements for selection for MCC entry to AHK are:
• Possess a HK SAR Passport.
• Possess an ICAO or HK CAD recognised CPL.
• Preference given to candidates with passess in all ATPL subjects.
• Have a minimum of 250 hours flying experience.
• Hold a current Class 1 medical certificate
• ICAO level 4 fluency in spoken English
MCC recruits will join AHK in the rank of Junior First Officer (JFO) and be trained using the AHK MCC program. Further career progression will be subject to meeting performance standards. For information on remuneration and other benefits please enquire at [email protected] with the subject line indication Hong Kong MCC.
AHK’s pilot compensation strategy is to offer as the prime attraction, the stable, work/life balanced rosters as per our current practice, along with the fatigue mitigation and convenience of Company provided airport-convenient hotel accommodation prior to and throughout all work patterns.
Details of the contract for new joining First Officers, and compensation increases with career progression, will be provided at the time of job offer. As a reference, the projected annual earnings (basic pay, fixed/outport allowances, productive pay) for our entry level First Officer 1 is US$139,840, assuming a normal productive flying hour target of 55 block hours per month is met (except for months with leave and ground training).
AHK pilots enjoy the following benefits:
• A medical insurance scheme for pilots and their families providing worldwide coverage of medical care/specialist services/dental/ hospitalisation expenses
• Employer contributions to a pension scheme
• 28 Annual Leave days
• Life insurance and Personal Accident Insurance policy
• Loss of licence insurance
• Personal travel on AHK flights before/after duty periods
• Subject to load, unlimited network wide staff travel access for pilots and immediate families on parent airline Cathay Pacific Airways, and sister airline Cathay Dragon, including premium economy and business class access. Similar retiree travel benefits for long serving employees
• MY ID TRAVEL concessionary staff travel access to Delta, KLM and Air New Zealand, United Airlines and Swiss International Airlines (including Edelweiss Air) flights
Enquiries : [email protected]